Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oblivion's Soundtrack

So, for the longest time I've had a handful of music from various artists that I could envision being part of the soundtrack to the end of the world.
Though they all posses the trait of a slow procession, tragic melodies with sweet lyrics, and a sort of acceptance in the finish.

Phase 1:
Radiohead////////////////Videotape
After giving In Rainbows a good once over I was requested by a close fried to rexamine the song, and give a thesis of my ideas on it.
However after finally surrendering my ears to the song a good number of times, I felt a wave of emotion.
The wave originates during the lines,
"No matter what, happens now. I won't be afraid, because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen."
Not so much for the fact it's a terribly heartbreaking line, but rather the fact that perhaps I'll never hear something so beautiful again.
Which was where the flood began.

Phase 2:

Coldplay//////////////////////////////Don't Panic


This one is sort of a give away, seeing it's implications to the Earth ending in it's reference to Hitchickers Guide to the Galaxy.
But It's the simple and sweet things which make me believe we all won't be shitting our pants when the earth starts to split into pieces.
But rather accept it, and find someone close to love for a moment. Euphoria induced via Coldplay.

Phase 3:

Interpol///////////////////////Lighthouse



With the rising elements in this music it's hard not to visualize all that we know and enjoy crumbling down around our ears.
From the somber tone of voice, to the incredibly isolated feeling of state I often need to check my pulse by the end of it.
Incredible piece.


Phase 4:

Arcade Fire//////////////////My Body Is A Cage


Again with the theme of rising action being a huge attribute to a human finale.
However this one really doesn't contain any lyrics to support the claim,
I'm more than certain you'll find you're own definition and be willing to add it to the situation.
However the wall of noise effect on this song is a genius piece, and will never be over looked.
Even long after we're gone. :]

1 comment:

Brock Landers said...

A soundtrack to the end of the world. I really like yours a lot. And I have a few of my own as well.